If you are in the middle of the immigration processes for residency or citizenship, and have an offense on your criminal record, then getting an expungement of setting aside your record may help your chances during the immigration process. Removing a conviction from your criminal record demonstrates to the courts that you now understand the importance of following all laws. Gaining citizenship can be competitive and difficult, which is why it is imperative that your clear your record to become a more desirable candidate.
Benefits of Having Your Arrest Records and Other Records Expunged
- You can tell employers that you have not been convicted of a crime
- You may become eligible for student loans
- You may become eligible for housing assistance
- You may become eligible for more types of professional licenses and certificates
- You can tell friends and family that you have not been convicted of a crime
- You no longer need to fear or be embarrassed by background checks for employment and housing